Lisa Renee Jones
Fascinated by the dark fantasies in the journals she’s discovered, and the two men who have now found a place in her life, Sara McMillan finds herself torn between her new life and her past. Now, more than ever, Sara identifies with the missing journal writer, Rebecca, and is certain that something sinister has happened.
In the arms of the sexy, tormented artist Chris Merit, Sara seeks answers about Rebecca and ends up discovering things about herself she never knew existed. Chris forces Sara to reconsider who she is and what she truly wants from life, but his dark desires threaten to tear them apart. Her boss, Mark Compton, offers her the shelter to understand just what those needs mean to her, and what they might have meant to Rebecca—but can she trust him to lead her to a final conclusion to Rebecca’s story?
Jones is teaming up with StorageTreasures.com, co-founded by Dan and Laura Dotson, stars of A&E’s Storage Wars, to present the exclusive thrilling and chilling serialized mystery BEHIND CLOSED DOORS: An Inside Out Novella. Each exciting installment will appear once a week through June and July 2013 on the storage and auction omnibus site and draw fans into the INSIDE OUT world.
Q&A with Lisa Renee Jones
- Throughout your career so far, you’ve written a wide range of genres, from paranormal romance to erotic thrillers. Which has been your favorite to write and what inspires you to jump around?
I love suspense and it’s where I started. Opportunity lead me other places but my heart is always in a good sexy mystery.
- Your latest series, The Inside Out Trilogy, begins with a character who discovers a woman’s “lost journals” in an old storage unit she purchases. How have your real-life experiences buying storage units inspired you to write this story?
My fiancée found a journal when we were buying and selling storage units and it inspired the idea. He got absorbed in the journal and insisted I write a sexy mystery involving a journal found in a storage unit. It took me years to listen to him but he never stopped pushing me. By the time I wrote INSIDE OUT had been developing the idea so long, that it made the fictional world and characters felt very real to me.
- Before publishing your books, you owned your own staffing agency, which was named Entrepreneur Magazine’s #7 growing women-owned business (1998) and recognized by the Austin Business Journal and Dallas Women Magazine. How has your experience in the business world helped shape your female characters?
It helped me understand the dynamics of personalities and relationships. It also exposed me to some of the good and bad sides of people and situations I do not think I would have known existed otherwise.
- In your opinion, what ingredients are needed to make up a good erotic thriller?
Well, great sex is a must. And not the same sex. And not sex just for sex. If I Were You didn’t have a ton of sex because the characters weren’t ready. I wasn’t going to make them have sex to make sex scenes appear on pages. And a good mystery is a true mystery. It’s woven into the story with subtle little clues. For me, it also has to be deeply rooted in something one or more characters have some emotional attachment to.
- What’s up next for you and your writing career?
I have a new series Escaping Reality, another sexy mystery, out in July. A novella coming up with Random House and more books in the INSIDE OUT series. There will be 5 Inside Out books and a spinoff series. Books 4 and 5 are highly focused on the man who did not get Sara. And you will know what the spinoff series is by the end of Revealing Us. You will have no question.